CHICAGO, Nov. 18, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Are you a cat person or a dog person and what does that mean for your career path? A new survey from CareerBuilder looks at pet ownership in relation to chosen profession, compensation and job satisfaction. The nationwide survey was conducted between August 17 and September 22, 2010 and included more than 2,300 workers with pets.
Key findings include:
- Workers with dogs were more likely to report holding senior management positions (CEO, CFO, Senior Vice President, etc…)
- Workers with snakes/reptiles were the most likely to report earning six figures.
- Workers with birds were the most likely to report being satisfied with their jobs.
In terms of career paths, owners of certain pets were more likely to report being drawn to certain professions:
- Dog owners were more likely to be professors, nurses, information technology professionals, military professionals and entertainers
- Cat owners were more likely to be physicians, real estate agents, science/medical lab technicians, machine operators and personal caretakers
- Fish owners were more likely to be human resources professionals, financial professionals, hotel and leisure professionals, farming/fishing/forestry professionals and transportation professionals
- Bird owners were more likely to be advertising professionals, sales representatives, construction workers and administrative professionals
- Snake/reptile owners were more likely to be engineers, social workers, marketing/public relations professionals, editors/writers and police officers
This survey was conducted online within the U.S. by Harris Interactive© on behalf of CareerBuilder among 2,301 U.S. workers with pets (employed full-time; not self-employed; both government and non-government) ages 18 and over between August 17 and September 2, 2010 (percentages for some questions are based on a subset, based on their responses to certain questions). With a pure probability sample of 2,301 one could say with a 95 percent probability that the overall results have a sampling error of +/- 2.04 percentage points. Sampling error for data from sub-samples is higher and varies.
CareerBuilder is the global leader in human capital solutions, helping companies target and attract their most important asset - their people. Its online career site, CareerBuilder.com®, is the largest in the United States with more than 23 million unique visitors, 1 million jobs and 32 million resumes. CareerBuilder works with the world's top employers, providing resources for everything from employment branding and data analysis to recruitment support. More than 9,000 websites, including 140 newspapers and broadband portals such as MSN and AOL, feature CareerBuilder's proprietary job search technology on their career sites. Owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI), Tribune Company, The McClatchy Company (NYSE: MNI) and Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT), CareerBuilder and its subsidiaries operate in the United States, Europe, Canada and Asia. For more information, visit www.careerbuilder.com.