- Over Half of Workers Gain Weight says CareerBuilder.co.uk
LONDON, June 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Our slow moving working lifestyles may be taking its toll on our heath reveals a new survey by CareerBuilder.co.uk. Half of UK workers (50%) have gained weight since starting their current job and 15% have gained nearly 1.5 stone (9kg) – the equivalent to a large Pug dog.
65% believe their weight gain is caused by sitting behind a desk for most of the day and ironically, nearly six in ten workers (59%) don't even take time away from their work station to eat lunch! It's hardly surprising therefore that we also struggle to exercise during our lunch breaks with 84% of us saying we don't have time to do so.
This trend is impacting our health and Rosemary Haefner, Global Vice President of Human Resources at CareerBuilder says:
"Some companies have started to implement healthy living initiatives in the workplace and it's worth finding out if your company offers any healthy lifestyle discounts and offers."
"Even small changes can make a big difference. Try taking the stairs instead of the lift or stop by a colleague's desk instead of sending an email. When the weather is sunny, get out there and enjoy it by hopping off the bus at an earlier stop and walk the rest of the way to the office."
Nearly a quarter (23%) of workers surveyed say they snack at least twice during the working day with 9% snacking more than three times! Other reasons given for waistlines expanding include eating because of stress (43%) and eating out regularly (10%).
As well as walking more, Haefner recommends the following exercises to help lose the extra pounds this summer:
- Snack healthy - Snacking can seem innocent when done in small bits and pieces, but the extra calories will start to add up quickly. Keep plenty of veggies and fruits in the office fridge so you have a healthier choice on hand.
- Pack your lunch - Bringing your lunch to work helps you better control your portions and also saves you money.
- Choose water - Drink water throughout the day instead of caffeinated drinks or juices. This helps make you feel fuller faster, and cuts down on the calories.
- Sneak in some exercise – Take daily walks with a colleague, replace your chair with an exercise ball for part of the day, and keep small weights at your desk – all quick and easy solutions to help stay fit and trim.
100 people aged 18-70 from the UK were involved in the survey.
CareerBuilder UK is one of the most visited online job sites in the United Kingdom. Owned by Gannett Co., Inc (NYSE: GCI), Tribune Company, and The McClatchy Company (NYSE: MNI), CareerBuilder.co.uk powers the career centres for hundreds of UK sites that reach national, local, industry and niche audiences. For more information about CareerBuilder products and services, visit http://www.careerbuilder.co.uk.
For more information, or to speak to a spokesperson from CareerBuilder.co.uk, contact Kate Baker (email@example.com) or Antonia Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org) at BOTTLE – +44-(0)1865-882988.